What are you thinking about? O, a tree....

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

American Poetics: Ezra Pound, Walt Whitman & the Great Stench



He Is America. His crudity is an exceeding great stench, but it is America .... He is disgusting. He is an exceedingly nauseating pill, but he accomplishes his mission.

I honor him for he prophesied me while I can only recognize him as a forebear of whom I ought to be proud.

As for Whitman, I read him (in many parts) with acute pain, but when I write of certain things I find myself using his rhythms.

Mentally I am a Whitman who has learned to wear a collar and a dress shirt (although at times inimical to both) .... And, to be frank, Whitman is to my fatherland ... what Dante is to Italy.

~Ezra Pound, What I Feel About Walt Whitman

Also: The ABC of Influence: Ezra Pound and the Remaking of American Poetic Tradition

Art: John Bauer: King of Troll Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment